The Doctor of Medicine program is a four year, graduate entry, AQF level 9, advanced Master’s program. This program focuses on four major themes: Doctor and Patient; Knowledge of Health and Illness; Doctor and Health in the Community and Doctor and Law, Ethics and Professional Practice.
Graduate entry courses are bachelor degree or Masters level courses that you can’t enter straight from school. You can only study them if you already have a degree. For medicine in Australia, and depending on the university, this degree can be either be in any field or must be a specific bachelors degree. Graduate entry medical degrees are shorter than undergraduate medical courses. The reason they’re shorter is that the university can assume that you’ve already developed the ability to learn effectively at university level and that you have an understanding of the basic sciences.
Yes, Griffith University has an Indigenous Entry Program. Please contact the GUMURRII Student Success Unit for more information.
The selection into the course is based on your performance in the GAMSAT, academic marks, completion of the Alternative Entry Program application form and the outcome of an interview.
* All applicants are to have completed or be in the final year of completing an undergraduate degree before they are eligible to apply for entry.
* Applicants to the MBBS are encouraged from all degree backgrounds.
* The interview process has been designed to assess suitability based on criteria agreed upon by the School of Medicione to be important for success in the MD program and in subsequent medical practice. The qualities rated as desirable include; good communication skills, an empathetic and ethical approach, a reflective manner as well as teamwork and decision making skills.
* The interview will be a panel style interview and will consist of staff members representing the GUMURRII Student Support Unit, the School of Medicine and the Health Group.
* Griffith University have their own resource First Peoples Pathways to Medicine with additional information.
GUMURRII Student Support Unit
GUMURRII is the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Student Support Unit at Griffith University. Subject to eligibility, Unit staff can organise personal tutoring, help you apply for grants, scholarships and assist students with a smooth transition into Griffith University.