Reconciliation in Australia
Many organisations around Australia are committed to working towards reconciliation Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians. The Leaders in Indigenous Medical Education (LIME) Network recognises the reconciliation work being undertaken by the many organisations which contribute to the success of the LIME Network.
What is Reconciliation?
Via Reconciliation Australia
“There’s no single strand to reconciliation—and it is not an easy or straightforward process. What is clear however is that reconciliation is everyone’s business.
Reconciliation is about building better relationships between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and the wider Australian community for the benefit of all Australians.
If we are to improve relationships between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and other Australians we need more people talking about the issues and coming up with innovative ways to create positive change.”
Commitments Towards Reconciliation
As the funding provider of the LIME Network, through Medical Deans Australia and New Zealand, the Australian Government Department of Health is committed to Closing the Gap in Indigenous Health. Download the Department of Health’s Reconciliation Action Plan 2013-2017.
Many of the organisational members of the LIME Network have demonstrated their commitment towards reconciliation in Australia. To assist in the sharing of information regarding reconciliation, the LIME Network Program has provided links to various reconciliation statements and action plans. These documents may assist LIME Network members who are developing Reconciliation Action Plans (RAPs) in their institutions.
These links and documents below outline the commitments towards reconciliation from universities who work with LIME. Where available, Reconciliation Action Plans or Statements have been acquired from the Faculties involved with the teaching and learning of Indigenous health and medical education.
- The University of Adelaide – Reconciliation Statement
- Australian National University – Reconciliation Action Plan
- Deakin University – Institute of Koorie Education Reconciliation Action Plan
- Griffith University – Reconciliation Action Plan
- James Cook University – Reconciliation Statement
- The University of Melbourne – Reconciliation Action Plan
- Monash University – Reconciliation Action Plan
- The University of Newcastle – Reconciliation Action Plan
- University of New South Wales – Reconciliation Statement
- University of Notre Dame – Commitment to Reconciliation
- University of Queensland – Reconciliation Policy
- The University of Sydney – Reconciliation Statement
- University of Western Sydney – Reconciliation Statement
- University of Wollongong – Reconciliation Statement
- Curtin University
More Information on Reconciliation
If you are interested in learning more about reconciliation, as well as keeping abreast of the current debate about recognising Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in Australia’s Constitution, please visit the Reconciliation Australia website.